Breaking news from the Taipei Cycle Show going on now: Checkout this concept electric bike from Nicolai/Gates/NuVinci! It is a bike that has been designed around the new Bosch electric bike kit that positions the motor to provide assistance at the cranks, the Gates belt drive that eliminates oily chains (and maintenance), and the NuVinci “gearless” rear hub drivetrain. All I have to say is it’s clean, simple, and I want to ride one!
Let me break down a few features that makes this concept bike so cool (and check out all the pictures!):
- The battery and motor are positioned low and in the center of the bike so it should handle well.
- The wheelbase of the bike is like a traditional bike so it will handle well.
- The frames has a lower top tube to make it easier to get on the bicycle.
- The motor assists through the cranks so the motor can take advantage of the gears of the bike and not “bog down” too much on the hills.
- The belt drive does not require any oil and will be less likely to collect dirt. No squeaky chain, no oil on the pants and less bike maintenance!
- The NuVinci rear hub drivetrain makes shifting the “gears” super easy and you will never “slip” a gear. Here is more info on the NuVinci drivetrain.
- All the cables are integrated into the frame; slick!
Well this is still a concept e-bike so no word on availability yet, but the estimated price is €2,600 – €3,200 ($3,680 – $4,530).
Here are some more pictures of this cutting edge electric bike and below is the official press release with more details on these innovative companies:
Gates Carbon Drive™ Unveils Concept Pedal-Assist eBike Using Fallbrook Technologies Inc.’s NuVinci® N360™ Advanced Drivetrain and Bosch eBike System
Taipei Cycle Show, Taipei — March 16, 2011 – Gates Carbon Drive (Gates), a division of Gates Corporation, and Fallbrook Technologies Inc. (Fallbrook) today announced the presentation of a benchmark concept eBike, featuring Gates’ CenterTrack™ belt drive system, Fallbrook’s NuVinci N360 drivetrain and Bosch’s eBike system.
Gates’ Europe technical mastermind Karlheinz Nicolai, known as a non-conventional designer, researcher and developer of benchmark setting products like the Smart Pedelec and the Grace e-motorbike, has spearheaded the combination of these three individual and synergetic systems to produce this advanced Pedelec.
Nicolai/Gates/NuVinci Concept eBike – Feature Highlights
· To achieve full integration of the battery, the down tube is divided into three parts with the battery inserted from below.Composite or plastic side panels can cover and achieve a cohesive design requirement.
· With this special battery integration, the top tube can be lowered, achieving a Mixte frame with a sports look LadyGeometry. For all weather and everyday commuting the eBike can be equipped with any protective and practical accessories like fenders, rack, lighting, etc. A MTB application requires additional dirt and debris protection covers for the battery.
· The electric motor is fully integrated into the frame (rotated 45 degrees up).
· The location of the motor unit enables a short rear triangle and compact chain stay section and offers plenty of ground clearance.
· All cables and wiring are fully integrated into the frame.
Gates’ Drivetrain Revolution: Lighter, Cleaner, Stronger
Gates’ new CenterTrack drive leads to a 20 percent more tensile strength, a slimmer profile and the most advanced dirt- and debris-shedding compared to conventional bicycle chains. “The CenterTrack is a quantum leap forward for belt-drive technologies. It offers all the clean, quiet and strong advantages of our existing drive trains but with an even higher level of performance,” said Todd Sellden, Director of Gates Carbon Drive Systems.
Wayne Lumpkin, former head of Avid, inventor and one of the most innovative thinkers in the bike industry, adds: “CenterTrack makes cycling easier and more enjoyable. Being the most robust bicycle belt-drive ever, lower maintenance is guaranteed.” The slimmest ever produced pulley and the slender profile makes it simple to integrate with drive trains such as the NuVinci N360.
Perfect Pedelec-Player: NuVinci N360 Drivetrain
Perfect for use with pedal-assist bicycles, the NuVinci N360 features an infinite number of ratios available within its nominal 360% ratio range, giving riders a shifting experience unlike any other. The NuVinci N360 CVP enables cyclists to easily maintain an optimum cadence regardless of terrain, and makes shifting as easy as adjusting the volume on a radio. The system includes a durable, permanently sealed hub that is maintenance free and requires no adjustments or regular servicing.
Chris Vasiliotis, NuVinci Product Manager, said, “With the NuVinci N360, shifting is easy even under high torque pedal-assist conditions, and there are no ratio gaps, missed shifts, shift shock or noise. Riders feel comfortable shifting at any time – without the penalties of indexed geared systems. The simple, seamless NuVinci eBike experience can result in extended battery life, reduced motor wear and, ultimately, increased range.”
Power Up With Bosch eBike System
The Bosch eBike system has captured the spotlight since its introduction at last year’s Eurobike. Thanks to the versatile motor positioning, this system offers the perfect solution for any type of bicycle – including sports or casual bikes. The software allows for optimal customization, plus the drive unit can be operated in one of four different modes – including eco, tour, sport, and speed – each suited to the rider’s preference. “This enables bicycle manufacturers to tailor their products according to their selected target audience,” said Rainer Jeske, Senior Vice President Bosch eBike Systems.
Bosch also invented its own battery system which draws on the company’s experience of producing exceptional lithium-ion batteries and chargers for its power tools.
About Gates Carbon Drive
Carbon Drive™ is the brainchild of Gates Corporation; an engineered products company with a legacy of creating long-lasting, superior-performing power transmission products. From driving 1500 HP at 9000 RPM Horsepower blower engines to working with industry leaders such as BMW, Harley-Davidson, and Ducati, Gates has been offering its drive-train expertise to the automotive, industrial, and engine powered world since 1911. Gates is now proud to bring its unparalleled standards, unwavering product support, and proven product development capacity to the bicycle market. For more information, visit:www.gatescarbondrive.com
About Bosch Group
The Bosch Group is a leading global supplier of technology and services with 283,500 associates and sales of 47.3 billion euros in the automotive and industrial technology, consumer goods, and building technology sectors in fiscal 2010. The Bosch Group comprises of Robert Bosch GmbH and its more than 300 subsidiaries and regional companies in over 60 countries. Additional information can be accessed at www.bosch-ebike.de, www.bosch.com, www.bosch-press.com, and www.125.bosch.com.
About Fallbrook Technologies Inc.
Fallbrook Technologies Inc. is a technology and manufacturing company dedicated to improving the performance and flexibility of transmissions for vehicles and equipment. Fallbrook’s NuVinci® continuously variable planetary (CVP) technology is applicable to machines that use a transmission such as bicycles, light electric vehicles, automobiles, agricultural equipment, and wind turbines, among others. Fallbrook has built an extensive portfolio of over 375 patents and patent applications worldwide.
For more information, visit: www.fallbrooktech.com.